Skip to main content

Drive Home

We both sat in the Dr.'s office together. She talked to both her and me at the same time. Explaining that dealing with an eating disorder is like dealing with an alcoholism. You wouldn't keep a fully stocked bar if you lived with an alcoholic. Just like you shouldn't keep cabinets full of cookies, chips and candy bars if you lived with a bulimic. 

The ride down the elevator to the car was quiet and tense. I kept my eyes to the ground. 

She was livid as she drove us home. "You're just doing this for attention. Why should we have to sacrifice for your problem? I don't really care if you live or if you die at this point. I'm sick of your behavior."

I felt like I was falling inside of myself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dappled Light

I worked at a grocery store after graduating from college. I hated it. It wasn't so bad at first. Great benefits, two days off in a row, a 20% discount on food. But all of my shifts were 3-11 pm. I am most definitely not a night person and working late nights was not easy for me.  After several months of this schedule, I asked my manager for some opening shifts, or even a mid shift. He looked at me blankly then asked me if I had any children. Confused by the question, I replied no. He then told me that many of my other co-workers did have children and that their schedules required them to have opening and mid-shifts. I didn't know what to say. I wanted to say that it wasn't fair that I had to close because I didn't have kids. But I didn't. I was afraid to.  So I left the office, confused and angry and irked at my fellow co-workers.  Needless to say, I savored my days off. I woke up early with the hopes of cramming in as much fun and relaxation as I poss...

Freshman

It was the first day of high school. It warm California day in September. I was walking to my first period class. And then I saw him. It was just like a movie, where everything slows down and the only person in focus is the love interest.  I looked around in each of my classes to see if he was there. Then, in last period history class, he was there, and he was sitting right next to me. 

Dog

I brought her home on a crisp November morning. I had been staying with my grandmother in Indiana for a week and picked her up from the breeder on way back to Michigan.  I was really nervous, especially since I wasn't able to take more than 200.00 from the ATM. I wasn't sure if the breeder would let me take her home that day. I arrived and explained the situation and she said that was fine. I would Paypal her the rest of the money. I waited while her two little girls ran to the back to fetch her. They brought her out and I could see her tiny little body being carefully held by the 8 year old girl. Her mother explained a few things to me and then urged her daughter to hand the little puppy over to me. She gently placed all 2 pounds of her in my hands and my heart burst. I loved her so much in that one moment. She whimpered and wiggled. She was black and white and brindled. I held her to my face and gave her a little kiss. The two little girls watched intently. T...