Skip to main content

Recent Memory

I'll start this blog with a very recent memory. Last Wednesday, December 27th, I watched as my elderly, widowed, neighbor said good-bye to her beloved cat for the last time. 

It was one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen. I had been helping her bring her cat to the vet's office, and helping her give him medication for about 6 months. He had developed a tumor in his ear canal that was inoperable. It started with his eye not being able to fully open. He lost his appetite too. The vet gave her medication that helped stimulate his appetite, but that eventually stopped working and he started falling over a bit. He hadn't eaten in 2 days when she decided to call Compassionate Care.

My phone rang around 9am. I figured she needed me to come over and help her give him his medication. Instead she told me that she had come to the decision to euthanize Britches. Her voice sounded slow and heavy over the phone. 

I headed over there around 11 and the neighbor that lived behind her was already there. They were sitting at the kitchen table drinking tea when I came in. I have a tendency to smile when I'm in an uncomfortable situation. I'm aware of this, so I tried really hard not to smile and I think I pulled it off.

The Compassionate Care worker arrived shortly after. She was in her 50's, dressed comfortably and spoke in a very soft voice. My neighbor, who is hard of hearing, couldn't hear a damn word she said. It was almost comical how her response to everything the worker said to her was, "What was that dear? I'm sorry, can you say that louder?"

"SHOULD WE GO AHEAD AND DO THE PAPERWORK FIRST? SOMETIMES THAT'S EASIER!", she repeated. 

"Oh yes, good idea," said my neighbor. 

After the paperwork was handled, it was time to really say goodbye. I was trying so hard not to cry, but in the end I had tears rolling down my face uncontrollably. We were all crying. All of us except the Compassionate Care worker. I'd imagine that is one of the requirements for the job. Doesn't cry while euthanizing animals is written in the job description. I suppose it's frowned upon in that profession. I suppose that it's something they've become accustomed to. 

I watched as she injected him with something to put him to sleep. Once he was sleeping my neighbor moved to her small couch and laid Britches next to her. The Care giver warned that he might "express his bladder" so it's best to lay him on a blanket that he could relieve himself on. She asked my neighbor if she was ready and reluctantly she said yes.

I watched as she sat next to her cat and gently leaned over him. Her arms around him she cried and told him how much she loved him. That this was the hardest decision she's ever had to make. That she would miss him so much. More than she could ever imagine or express. 

The worker shaved a small patch of fur off and asked if my neighbor would like to save it.

"I'm sorry dear, what did you say?"

"WOULD YOU LIKE FOR ME TO SAVE HIS FUR FOR YOU?"

"Oh yes, please. Thank you"

She placed it in a small, ziploc baggie.

She asked again if she was ready and my neighbor shook her head yes.

She injected Britches with the overdose of anesthesia and we all sat, tears falling fast, as this sweet old cat slowly and steadily took his last breath. 

The neighbor sobbed, we sobbed, and the worker slowly and carefully packed up all of her tools. We stood up and gently stroked his soft white fur and said our last goodbyes. I thanked him for being such a good cat for me while I was giving him his medicine. 

Compassionate Care woman gently placed him in a small pet bed and covered him in a soft yellow blanket. I held the door open for her and we watched her place him in the van and drive away.

I gave my neighbor a hug and tried to figure out if she wanted us to stay, or if she'd like for us to go. I think the behind neighbor felt it necessary to stay so we found ourselves in the elderly woman's kitchen. She offered us some Waldorf Salad and I politely said I wasn't hungry but I'd take some to go. Expecting a spinach salad with fresh grapes and nuts, I watched her pull a giant bowl of a lime green colored mash out of the fridge. 

"Thank god I asked for it to go," I thought to myself. 

Making small talk about work and how hard being a cat euthanizer must be, we sat around her table. I felt guilty about having to leave but Chloe, my dog, needed to be fed and I couldn't help think about my long list of things that needed to be done. So I found an out and headed to my house.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding

I flew out to San Diego for a friend's wedding. We weren't super close friends, but she invited me and my best friend was one of the bridesmaids.The wedding was going to be held in a photography museum at Balboa Park in March.  Because my best friend was one of the bridesmaids I drove with her to the bride's house where we would all drive to the wedding together in a limo. The bride briefly lost her Tiffany engagement ring. It was found. The other bridesmaid needed tampons. They were retrieved by the wedding planner. Sea foam dresses were steamed, the bride's dress fit perfectly and everything seemed as though it was going as planned. The ride to the museum was filled with nerves and fun.We jokingly drank from the champagne bottles and blasted music from the speakers. I attempted to take some photos for memories but failed at getting very many. This was a time before everyone had smartphones and cameras were still kind of an awkward device. We arrived at Ba

Dog

I brought her home on a crisp November morning. I had been staying with my grandmother in Indiana for a week and picked her up from the breeder on way back to Michigan.  I was really nervous, especially since I wasn't able to take more than 200.00 from the ATM. I wasn't sure if the breeder would let me take her home that day. I arrived and explained the situation and she said that was fine. I would Paypal her the rest of the money. I waited while her two little girls ran to the back to fetch her. They brought her out and I could see her tiny little body being carefully held by the 8 year old girl. Her mother explained a few things to me and then urged her daughter to hand the little puppy over to me. She gently placed all 2 pounds of her in my hands and my heart burst. I loved her so much in that one moment. She whimpered and wiggled. She was black and white and brindled. I held her to my face and gave her a little kiss. The two little girls watched intently. T

Him

I remember him being so helpful and understanding. I am not always self sufficient and he was always there for me when I needed a little push. Never angry or in disbelief that an adult woman couldn't speak out when something was wrong with a bill or an order. He would just pick up where I seemed to drop off. Handling situations that made me uncomfortable with no explaining. He just knew. I think about him sometimes when I don't feel understood because sometimes I feel like he has been the only person who has really known me. Sometimes better than I know myself.  I dream about him once in awhile. Often I'm looking in on his life. A life that could have possibly been mine if I had only had the patience for him. A person who I could have had if I had truly understood what it was like for someone to know me.