Skip to main content

Puppy

I was walking home from my bus stop one winter afternoon and I had this very strange feeling that we were going to get a dog. 

We lived in Navy housing where all the houses looked exactly the same. Large boxes split in two and shared by two families. If someone was arguing with someone you could hear it on the other side. If someone smoked in the house, you could smell it on the other side. 

The street behind my house was on a large hill and the closer to the bottom of that hill, the more excited I became. Cutting through the side yard of our neighbor's house and into my backyard, my hear rate increased.

I started to open the back door and before I could open more than a crack, I heard her say, "Close your eyes and hold out your arms."

I did as I was told, kind of knowing what was coming. With my eyes closed, and arms open, a furry wiggly little thing was placed into my arms. My eyes opened to see a black ball of fur trying to escape me. I almost started crying. I had wanted a dog, or a kitten, for so long. My instinct had been right. We did indeed get a dog.

I grew up, went to college but didn't forget him. I came home for Christmas when I was 23. Sitting on the floor, opening presents, he came up to me and laid down in my lap. 

I lived to be a very old dog and when he passed she called me in tears. I still think about you little dog. One of my first real friends. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding

I flew out to San Diego for a friend's wedding. We weren't super close friends, but she invited me and my best friend was one of the bridesmaids.The wedding was going to be held in a photography museum at Balboa Park in March.  Because my best friend was one of the bridesmaids I drove with her to the bride's house where we would all drive to the wedding together in a limo. The bride briefly lost her Tiffany engagement ring. It was found. The other bridesmaid needed tampons. They were retrieved by the wedding planner. Sea foam dresses were steamed, the bride's dress fit perfectly and everything seemed as though it was going as planned. The ride to the museum was filled with nerves and fun.We jokingly drank from the champagne bottles and blasted music from the speakers. I attempted to take some photos for memories but failed at getting very many. This was a time before everyone had smartphones and cameras were still kind of an awkward device. We arrived at Ba

Dog

I brought her home on a crisp November morning. I had been staying with my grandmother in Indiana for a week and picked her up from the breeder on way back to Michigan.  I was really nervous, especially since I wasn't able to take more than 200.00 from the ATM. I wasn't sure if the breeder would let me take her home that day. I arrived and explained the situation and she said that was fine. I would Paypal her the rest of the money. I waited while her two little girls ran to the back to fetch her. They brought her out and I could see her tiny little body being carefully held by the 8 year old girl. Her mother explained a few things to me and then urged her daughter to hand the little puppy over to me. She gently placed all 2 pounds of her in my hands and my heart burst. I loved her so much in that one moment. She whimpered and wiggled. She was black and white and brindled. I held her to my face and gave her a little kiss. The two little girls watched intently. T

Recent Memory

I'll start this blog with a very recent memory. Last Wednesday, December 27th, I watched as my elderly, widowed, neighbor said good-bye to her beloved cat for the last time.  It was one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen. I had been helping her bring her cat to the vet's office, and helping her give him medication for about 6 months. He had developed a tumor in his ear canal that was inoperable. It started with his eye not being able to fully open. He lost his appetite too. The vet gave her medication that helped stimulate his appetite, but that eventually stopped working and he started falling over a bit. He hadn't eaten in 2 days when she decided to call Compassionate Care. My phone rang around 9am. I figured she needed me to come over and help her give him his medication. Instead she told me that she had come to the decision to euthanize Britches. Her voice sounded slow and heavy over the phone.  I headed over there around 11 and the neighbo